Thursday

Iris Barrel Apfel

Dear Iris...You are an 88 year old breath of fresh air and i was very pleased to learn about you today. I have seen your name in print before but had no idea who you actually were. I tracked you down after seeing a mention of you and read this interview with you that was done in 2005 when the Met was putting together a show based on your styling and clothes...there are too many good parts to the interview to pull out so i am just going to post the link. I hope i am as fun and elegant and endearing and spirited as you are when i am in my 80s.

"I don’t care what people think…I learned a long time ago…I was 19 and had a very traumatic experience….and I learned that I have to go to bed with myself at night and that I have to please myself…and as long as I don’t go out of my way to offend anybody that I love, upset my mother or my husband…I’ll do my own thing. And if the public doesn’t like it, it’s their problem, not mine."

No comments: